Organic jewelry maintenance
All kinds of organic jewelry such as stone, fossils, wood… are materials that cannot be sterilized in an autoclave.
- You can’t clean them with harsh chemicals either. Therefor you can’t wear someone else’s jewelry because there is no good way to clean them.
- Natural materials are not suitable for initial piercings or stretching or piercings that are not fully healed yet. Most of these materials will stick to your skin because it’s porous.
- They are suitable for long term wear though but they often mustn’t get wet. Even though, some types of wood need to be worn as much as possible and because of that they become more or less water resistant.
- You have to keep them away from direct sunlight, extreme temperatures or humidity in fear of drying out and cracking.
- If you’ve stored them you should take them out once a month and rub them with either oils such as Jojoba oil, Emu oil, Vitamin E oil or with grease such as Holey butt’r to prevent them from drying out and cracking.
- And if you do wear them a lot, take them out once or twice a week to clean them with the same products and give your earlobes a good massage with these as well.
- Wear organics as much as possible to keep them in the best shape.